Started Jul 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
olavsm
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
Warning - HLD-6 corrosion problem
Jul 14, 2012

I became the happy owner of the HLD-6 grip a few weeks ago, just a couple of weeks after receiving the E-M5 camera. The landscape grip has been sitting on the camera ever after, whereas the portrait grip was only attached once for the feel of it, then removed.

Today I was going to remount the portrait part onto the landscape part and realized that the camera went dead when trying to switch on power. To make the story short, it turned out that two of the power terminals (the large terminals) on the landscape part was heavily corroded, with a green deposit on the terminals. I removed the deposit with a moist cotton swab, only to find that the gold plating had corroded leaving a copper coloured surface. It seems there is a kind of short circuit underneath the plastic (have not been able to test for open/short circuit) causing the malfunction.

As long as there is no battery in the portrait grip, the camera functions ok, even the buttons and switches on the portrait grip. With battery inserted, the camera turns dead.

I have been trusting the weather proofing of the camera and the HLD-6 until now, but this finding kind of scares me. The rubber cover which shall protect the electric terminals has been on all the time, but it obviously traps some moisture inside. That is one issue bad enough by itself, even worse that the terminals so easily corrodes after just three weeks of use where only for the last few days has the camera been exposed to moisture in form of rain.

I am also concerned realizing how soft those terminals are, both on camera and on the landscape grip. I assume they are part of a printed circuit board. As the landscape grip has to be removed every time the battery is replaced, one can only assume how long the terminals will last before permanent damage occurs.

It would be interesting to learn other E-M5 users' experience with the battery grip and similar problems.

For my own part, I can only hope for this damage being covered by the warranty.

Below picture shows the two top right terminals heavily corroded.

Below picture shows the E-M5 battery grip terminals being significantly deformed by the contact pressure from the landscape grip terminal pins.

olavsm's gear list:olavsm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow