.CR2 to .JPG processing time

Started Jul 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Grogly
Contributing MemberPosts: 557Gear list
Like?
Because I was curious myself...
In reply to DigitalArt, Jul 14, 2012

I ran a test and clocked my system as DPP batch processed 20 7D RAW files.

My system is twin-quad core (8 total cores) Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5506 @ 2.13GHz processors, 20 GBytes of RAM, 1.5 Tbyte Western Digital in RAID 1 mirroring configuration.

The RAW files were generic photos, in decent light, so no noise reduction was needed.

The 20 files took 2:48 seconds to complete or an average of 8.4 seconds each. I also note that monitoring my system somewhere between 5 and 6 cores were used by DPP for each conversion, implying that DPP can't use more or more were not needed, since I have 8 available.

Anecdotally, the 8 seconds for each conversion was longer that I thought from when I usually do this but I guess not significantly.

I reran the test using similar files from my 20D and 20 conversions to 53 seconds or about 2.7 seconds each. So the 7D RAW files take 3 times longer to process.

Cheers!
--
Rod,
Photographic hack since 1969.

Samples of my favorite images can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grogley/collections/72157600201558641/

Grogly's gear list:Grogly's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow