Newbie Question: What lenses should I buy for my D7000?

Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
JakeB
Contributing MemberPosts: 762Gear list
Like?
Re: Newbie Question: What lenses should I buy for my D7000?
In reply to jjm1181, Jul 14, 2012

Hi, jjm,

The Nikon 18-105 is a good consumer lens, but like all consumer zooms, it's slow (i.e. the maximum aperture isn't very large so won't let in as much light as a "fast" lens).

You might decide to supplement it with a fast prime (fixed focal length lens). I'd recommend the Nikon 35mm f1.8. It's cheap (around $200) but very good.

You might, however, decide to upgrade your zoom to a faster (but more expensive and heavier) zoom. I started with the 18-105, realized that I mainly shot in the midrange, and so upgraded to Nikon's top-of-the-line midrange zoom, the 24-70 f2.8. This lens is optically better than the 18-105 in many areas, but also considerably longer, heavier, and more expensive.

Should you decide to move to a camera like the d800, then the 24-70 would be your best midrange choice in terms of speed and optical quality.

At the moment you don't seem entirely clear on what you want. I'd suggest getting more experience with the 18-105 on the D7000, maybe supplement with the 35mm 1.8 I mentioned, and take it from there.

Hope this helps.

jjm1181 wrote:

o,I got the 18mm - 105mm that came with the kit. I'm mainly shooting my child, family, portrait and landscape. I've been given suggestions on 50mm and 85mm and then other suggestions to get a 105mm and don't go below 100mm. This has confused me. I've read the buying guide on this site, but am still confused. Any specific lenses that you all would recommend? How much should I be paying for a good lens?

Also, I see myself upgrading the D800 in a year so I'm not sure if I should stick with the FX lenses or still buy DX and just plan on selling them later. Thoughts?

JakeB's gear list:JakeB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow