Started Jul 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Complexity
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Should I get the Olympus E-M5?
Jul 14, 2012

I'd like to know if any of you think the Olympus E-M5 would be a good camera for me based on what I like to photograph. This will be my first camera after 10 years, mainly because it's been so hard for me to pick out a new camera. My current (old) camera is an Olympus C3030-zoom which is about 10 years old.

I originally budgeted about $1,000 for a camera, but I'm willing to spend $1,500 or so to get something that will take really good pictures and last me a long time. Obviously, I'm not into buying cameras often so whatever I get, I'll be using for a long time.

The pictures I take most often are of my aquariums, including photos of the fish and plants. The lighting is very bright compared to the room which causes problems with exposure. It is important to me that the pictures have very sharp, closeup detail. I have relied very heavily on my current camera's exposure bracketing feature to get good pictures.

I also tend to take a lot of macro shots, and a really good zoom would be great. If I could take detailed closeup pictures of my fish from a distance, I would love it (the camera frightens them if I'm too close).

I have uploaded pictures to my gallery that represent the kinds of pictures I often take. I'm looking for a camera that would excel in taking similar pictures.

Please let me know if you think the E-M5 would be a good choice for me, including any pros and cons you think I might need to consider when making my selection.

Thank you!

Complexity's gear list:Complexity's gear list
Olympus C-3030 Zoom Olympus OM-D E-M5
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow