Started Jul 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tomhongkong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,466
Like?
Who is trying manual lenses and why?
Jul 14, 2012

I recently picked up a very cheap new Nex5 (Peter Jones sale in London). Primarily I want to have some fun with it trying out some of the old MD lenses I have, and looking out for anything interesting in second hand shops. (I am going to start carrying a little pen torch with me wherever I go to inspect inside them). I also shoot RAW so the benefits of the 5n JPEG engine don't help me.

I wonder, though, about the justification for buying most manual lenses on ebay. As well as the body I have the 18-55 and a Sigma 30mm (couldn't stop the compulsive lens acquisition syndrome in time).

Really, how many of the old manual lenses are going to give a better quality than those, unless I spend a lot to buy Leica, CZ etc.? I doubt very much whether any of the Russian lenses (ebay $30-$50) will match up, and most $100 Nikon or Canon lenses in ebay are unlikely to be very much better. I do like the idea of the original Olympus Pen F lenses as they combine good quality with slim adapters, but they are a price as well (more than the Sony 50mm for Nex). Is there anything anyone thinks is a winner out there at less than $150, beating the IQ of the lenses I have?

Of course all of these lose AF which is sometimes nice to have, and stabilisation as well.

So, I am looking forward to some fun searching junk shops and markets, but I doubt If I am going to be buying anything on ebay where prices have gone silly.

Have I got it wrong?

thanks

tom

Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow