Just posted: Our Fujifilm X10 review

Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,397Gear list
Like?
Re: Software to process RAW
In reply to expressivecanvas, Jul 14, 2012

expressivecanvas wrote:

So, for what it's worth, I went through the bother of finding X10 raf's online, downloaded them, converted them using Oloneo and I can honestly say I highly recommend Oloneo if you are unhappy with your current method of RAW conversion. (And I am in no way affiliated with Oloneo.)

Oloneo works well on an image that is not wide dynamic range. It has almost as much detail as Raw File Converter pulls out. It also has good HDR-type settings and scene type presets.

However, I couldn't recommend Oloneo for the X10 or any EXR sensor camera.

Oloneo cannot process the "recovered" highlight information - it only processes the over-exposed part of the image. As such, it is worse than a JPEG when you have wide dynamic range images, as this screenshot of my railway platform wide DR image shows - cyan sky and no cloud detail whatsoever, and no way to recover it:

Not only that, it doesn't offer lens correction of any sort, either. That's all included with the bundled Raw File Converter EX.

Here's the OOC JPEG of that scene:

And here's the RFC version of that very same RAW that Oloneo squashed, big-time:

RAW is meant to be better than JPEG - Oloneo just cannot use the EXR data.

-- hide signature --

Cheers

Trevor G

Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow