Started Jul 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,495Gear list
Like?
Canon's 18mp Sensor
Jul 14, 2012

Is much better than Sony's 24mp sensor, at least when it's been used in Sony cameras. Not only that but the Jpeg engine, even in the lower priced T3i, is much better than Sony's current high end camera- the A77. By far.

One reason alone is that the Jpeg engine allows far greater detail to be captures on Jpegs if you turn the NR off in the custom menu. Even the chroma noise is present in the Jpegs almost like you are converting straight from raw without any noise reduction. This, is how a Jpeg engine should start in regards to how images are rendered out of camera. Canon lets the user decide how much NR to apply.

Very smart.

Heck, I even like the T3i more than the A77 overall despite the A77's faster frame rate, magnesium body, etc.

I find the AF just as fast to acquire for still image shooting and the cameras layout and handling better overall too. Even the menu system is better.

Hopefully buyers are looking at low end Canons' for advanced user output vs. Sony's stuff.

Carl

http://photographic-central.blogspot.com/
http://alphamountworld.com
-Print, don't squint.

This is an ISO 12,800 image converted from raw, only chroma nr applied.

This is a Jpeg, NR off in camera. This is how images should look at the base level, the user should have options to allow for more NR from here. Sony doesn't even have it at it highest level camera, let alone a camera you can get new for 1/3rd the cost with better image quality to boot!

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Umm.New
See!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow