ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,917Gear list
Like?
Which one is in proper focus?
Jul 14, 2012

Hey guys and gals!

I figured I would do a little test here and need extra sets of eyes to help me pick the best example from the lot.

Below you will find 8 shots taken with my A77 and Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 IF EX DG HSM lens using my LensAlign tool. Everything was shot at 70mm wide open at F/2.8 in a studio setup. The camera was in M mode, the scene was metered using my Sekonic, and the prelighting and flash handled by my Einstein E640. Images were shot in RAW and post processed via Lightroom 4.1. The tool was mounted on a light stand and my camera on a tripod.

I initially started at the recommended distance from LensAlign, but decided to shoot just a little bit closer to get more of the target in the shot.

I was using the micro focus adjustment tool and took shots ranging from a -3 adjustment to a +3 adjustment (everything else above and below that was too obvious as being off focus). I started off with 24 shots, 3 of each adjustment with 6 taken at 0 adjustment (3 at one point and 3 at another). I then took the best shot of the three for each adjustment and came up with the 8 below. These have been cropped and some post processing done for white balance, contrast, etc.

I need your help picking the best one out of the eight. To keep the test blind, I will not be labeling the pictures with the adjustment settings. They will only be labeled by letters. I will release that information later if requested. I appreciate the contributions you can provide.

Thanks!

For a larger size, see original in my gallery album.
--
Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +21 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow