Started Jul 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
B T Russell
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Returned NEX-5N to store
Jul 13, 2012

I have been shooting digitally for more than 8 years now, with several Canon compacts and DSLRs. Two weeks ago I bought a NEX-5N at Future Shop in Alberta Canada. Thank goodness they have a two-week 'no questions asked return policy'.

Right from the get-go, I had frustrations with it. Simply learning the basic operations/programming of the camera was very challenging - it was much tougher than learning the Canon gear (G10, Rebel, etc.). I found everything about the camera to be awkward. It handles awkwardly. The flash and accessory microphone are vulnerable and awkward. The 'last straw' was the discovery that if I am using the camera in manual-mode, and want to use it in full-auto mode, I have to remember first to switch the focus from manual to auto. This, to me, seems simply idiotic. I just can't image why the Sony programmers designed it that way. Another thorn-in-the-flesh was the difficulty I had finding my movie files. Another stupid feature was that if I am capturing in RAW, I have to remember to disable the RAW recording and switch to JPEG in order to use the HDR features. It was just one thing after another. I was trying to explain to someone who isn't a photographer just why I returned the camera. Frustrated at is incomprehension, I just blurted out "that camera is retarded". That pretty much sums up.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow