Started Jul 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gollywop
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,788
Like?
HF blown greens for DM
Jul 13, 2012

Detail Man, my good friend, here, I hope, are a set of images that may help you with the HF recovery issue. While out shooting today, I thought of you and stopped at a patch of green stuff that was mainly in the shade but also with a couple of slightly illuminated spots. I shot a sequence of exposures beginning with something just above ETTR and getting brighter.

Here are three images from the sequence along with their RawDigger histograms, and for the last two, a RawDigger histogram for a selection on the blowing/blown leaf at the bottom to the left of center.

Just starting to blow, green channel with modest clipping:

Some fully blown pixels, in the stem bottom middle, but selected leaf, bottom-left, only blown in green channel:

Some fully blown pixels, including leaf selected in center-bottom.

The slightly blown first shot (red just on margin, green not too bad, blue fine) is able to be recovered quite well -- both stem and leaf, the most problematic spots, are doing well. There is no noticeable detail loss.

The second shot with all channels blown for the stem and only the green channel for the leaf does badly (as would be expected for the stem), but is holding its own with the leaf. Detail is being retained quite well in both stem and leaf. Note that the stem is "recovered" to a neutral (near white) color.

The third shot has fully blown pixels in both stem and leaf. The stem is as in the second shot, the leaf is now significantly blown in both red and green channels. The blue channel is just on the edge. HF detail is definitely lost here. Again, "recovery" is to a neutral, now grayer, color.

Note also the edge of the leaf just above the stem. It too is blown and recovered in a similar fashion, but detail is retained pretty well.
--
gollywop

-- hide signature --

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow