Tried both the D800 and MKIII at a store for a few hours - comparison.

Started Jul 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brea
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Tried both the D800 and MKIII at a store for a few hours - comparison.
Jul 13, 2012

I am a complete amateur but here are my thoughts using both cameras for about 1-2 hours each demoing them different lens as well.

Nikon D800

-Controls are more intuitive - maybe that's because I was using Nikon D50 for a while. For example changing aperture on Nikon is better than changing aperture on Canon since the button is further away and you have to move hand a bit.

-Handshake does a disastarous effect viewing at 100% crop... don't know about in the real world though - didn't get to see the pictures I took on computer.

-Onboard flash is very handy for situations where you don't have a flash... using a business card to reflect flash any angle is handy (what I do :))
-With auto white balance, my shots didn't look like what I wanted them to be

Canon 5D Mark III
-Auto white balance was right on every shot!
-Screen has more clarity over the Nikon.
-Grip is much more fitting for my long and skinny hands.
-No onboard flash is a bummer...
-Body feels smaller in general.

When taking a liveview shot I felt a ms difference on the D800: probably due to the high resolution.

Right now I am leaning towards the Canon, the high resolution on the D800 is more suited for tripod shots and Canon offers really nice lens. A faster 85mm (f1.2), and a much much lighter 70-200mm (f4).

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D50 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow