Started Jul 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,091Gear list
Like?
Implications of RX100 for low end mirrorless
Jul 13, 2012

I know we had a thread on the RX100 that quickly degenerated into personal attacks and was essentially devoid of any actual discussion of the RX100. Nevertheless, I thought some people here might be interested in Andrew Reid's review. Reid is a professional videographer who has written a book on filmmaking with the GH2.

Reid made the following comments in his review:

The number of rival cameras the RX100 completely destroys is quite astonishing. Say goodbye to your Canon S100, Fuji X10, Canon G1X, Nikon 1, Olympus PEN, Lumix GF3 with X power zoom. The RX100 is a better all-rounder than all of these cameras and significantly smaller (with lens) than any current mirrorless offering.

With the advent of the RX100, low end mirrorless cameras packing kit lenses are dead.

If you don’t need an interchangeable lens mount on your small camera I challenge you to find the advantages of shooting stills OR video with a low end mirrorless camera and kit zoom, over what the RX100 offers with the far better Zeiss and rather advanced 20MP sensor. Relative to low end interchangeable lens cameras (and by Olympus PEN I mean cameras like the E-PM1 not the high end OM-D) the RX100 is far smaller with a faster aperture.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8499/sony-rx100-review

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Fujifilm X10 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
++1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow