Critique Please

Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
amolitor
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
Re: Critique Please
In reply to MRM4350, Jul 13, 2012

The trees in the background are flat black, and many of the whites of the boats are blown out or very nearly. The light appears overcast, which in the first place makes the modelling uninteresting and flat and secondly conflicts with the aggressively wide tonal range. Whites and blacks are fine, but especially with a soft light like this you've got to let the mid tones breathe, make the photograph mostly midtones so the light looks convincing and realistic (assuming that's what you want -- making the tonal range fight with the light is certainly an effect, it's just not realistic and it's harder for the viewer to accept).

The main problem is that there's no visual center of any kind. There's some attractive reflections, some moderately nice looking boats (all boats are kind of pretty) but what am I supposed to be looking AT? The eye isn't led anywhere.

I don't mean a subject, by the way, although a subject can be a visual center. I just mean a point of increased interest, something to find in the photograph to enjoy.

Just as with the contrast issue, you don't NEED a visual center, not having one is also an effect, and again it's an effect that makes it harder for the viewer to accept and enjoy your image.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow