Slow 1:1 previews in Lightroom

Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bill Hollinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,081
Like?
Re: Slow 1:1 previews in Lightroom
In reply to Robert Peters, Jul 13, 2012

Robert Peters wrote:

I haven't really noticed any preview "popping up" in the Library module when dealing with 25MB, Nikon D800 JPEG previews. It's painful to watch on a 2.6 GHz, quad-core i7 (MacBook Pro "retina").

Ouch! I assumed the Retina was the cure for this problem with the D800E RAW files. If you set LR to create 1:1 previews on import, will this solve the problem? I am setting up a new iMac 3.4 GHz Quad-Core i7 with 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM and ADM Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDRS, and I was hoping it would solve this problem. I still have some software to install, and have not used it yet to process anything. I was wondering if a Thunderbolt RAID drive was worth buying to speed things up (I currently store the video and photos files on a FW 12TB LaCie RAID). I would use the LaCie to back up the Thunderbolt. After reading this thread, I’m not sure that will offer much help with speed, plus there seems to be a lot of unhappiness with the reliability of the Pegasus 12TB RAID Apple sells, so I was instead considering a LaCie Raid, http://www.anandtech.com/show/5577/lacie-2big-thunderbolt-series-review or perhaps the Thunderbolt G-RAID. Does anyone have any experience to thoughts about using Thunderbolt drives? If they won’t speed up LR, will they make video rendering and output faster? I usually output them on the internal HD, then copy the file to the RAID drives.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow