Started Jul 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,150Gear list
Like?
Probably skipping the DP2M
Jul 13, 2012

After checking several shots of the SD1/SD1M from raw, etc. I think I am skipping the DP2M. This is for reasons particular to my needs and photographic wants, I don't think it will be a bad camera, though I am scratching my head still why Sigma eliminated one of the key advantages of the line- the dial with focal length marks.

This feature was virtually universally praised on the DP1/DP2, incredibly useful to a street photographer in some situations, so I don't understand why they are eliminating that.

Anyhow, I keep finding shots from the new Foveon that at the lowest standard ISO in black areas often have red spotches.. I don't recall that happening with my DP2. Though it's not too bad, but just like some may look at very hard to see "moire" in a Bayer sensor, it's there.

I am also not entirely convinced the total DR of the new sensor is better than the Dp2's, in fact, sometimes it appears less.

But I could live with that. What I can't live with is what I see the lower light performance to be. Again, not saying it's a bad camera, just contrasting with my needs.

The epiphany came to me with this shot I took a few months back that has got me interest in the real world. This is mixed light, fairly low light (even if you see bright lights there, it's low light actually).

ISO 6400, F1.9, 1/60 of a second shutter. Perfect example of really low light.

This shot I can easily print as a 5x7 if not 8x10 with some care and still look pretty decent. For the DP2M to do this, it would have to be pushed to an ISO 12800 from ISO 6400 (since lens is F2.8). Given the issues I already see at ISO 3200, I just don't see it happening.

Oh and this shot was taken with nothing else but the Pentax Q (!).

I wonder if it's viable for Sigma to develop a Foveon of the size of the new one but of 7 megapixels x 3, that could be marketed as a "high ISO foveon." Maybe they could have a higher rez Foveon line and the "super sensitivity" line- but no idea how much difference in the real world it would make.

I would be more than happy with 7 Foveon megapixels resolution wise.

So I am going to skip. It's the same issue I had with my DP2- I loved my DP2 in daylight, but in mixed/lower light it just didn't do as I needed/wanted. If I was a daylight shooter only, I would be far more interested.

Those who shoot in daylight, enjoy.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow