Probably a stupid question with a simple answer...

Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
garyinhere
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?
Re: Probably a stupid question with a simple answer...
In reply to Hugowolf, Jul 13, 2012

Thank you, I have another flash I can put on top in slave mode, I'll go try that.

Hugowolf wrote:

garyinhere wrote:

So I'm a Sony user and have had to overcome some lighting issues. I got a Flashpoint II 320 M and it has done great. If I connect the flash to an adapter pc socket then the images are great, but if I disconnect and use the on camera flash to "pop" the flashpoint then it comes out very underexposed. This is confusing because I use an off board speed flash as well that I trigger with the wireless flash setting and it is great? Any help is appreciated the problem is that I don't want to be "hard wired" all the time.

It is simple. The built in flash is in an TTL mode, that is it uses a preflash burst which is used by the camera’s metering system to determine how much light to put out during the real flash burst – there is less than a millisecond between the two flash bursts, the metering and exposure flashes, so you will only see them as one flash. But, the preflash burst will trigger the slave flashes before the shutter opens, so your Flashpoint lights will have no effect on the image.

If you can get you pop up flash into a manual (non-metered mode), then that will fix things. If you can’t do that, then you need some other means of triggering your off camera flash units.

Brian A

-- hide signature --

"We can do no great things, only small things with great love" Mother Theresa

garyinhere's gear list:garyinhere's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow