Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,860Gear list
Like?
I'll Eat some Crow too! Bad D800 here!
Jul 12, 2012

After seeing quite a few perfectly fine D800 bodies, I got a 2nd one today and it's a hunk of junk. And I do mean JUNK.

With 50mm 1.8g it's soft using left or right sensors, fairly sharp at the center, but not perfect. You can lens tune and make it sharp in the center.

24-70 2.8 is a DISASTER on this body. -20 required for sharp focus using center AF point and the left and right sensors are WAY off. You really can't do anything with this lens on this body.

35mm f2 is about the same as the 50mm 1.8. Tamron Macro 180 is slightly off using center, but can be tuned well enough. I didn't even try to use the left and right ones.

So basically the ONLY lens that's working well with this particular D800 body is the 70-200 AF-S VRII. This is 100% repeatable AF failure. It's hard to imagine that this cam passed ANY QC tests. Is Nikon rushing a percentage of bodies out to meet demand and olding testing some?

I won't send it back because maybe my luck has run out. I want Nikon to fix it so I'll send it in next week. I'm in NY, so I guess it's Melville. Anyone try dropping a cam off there?

I'm not horrified by this issue as I know it can be fixed, but now that I've seen it 1st hand....sheesh! Bad, bad Nikon! Go stand in the corner!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow