No second hand value on 5DIII

Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
oss
oss
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?
Re: No second hand value on 5DIII
In reply to David Hull, Jul 12, 2012

There is a certain sound to the voice of reason on this forum David and you are one who comes across clearly, rwbaron also has the same sound quite often too

On this topic, I agree with both of you, who would expect to get much better than 2999 for a second hand item of this value, certainly not me.

The analogy to a car, well in the UK you could probably expect to lose 20% the minute you buy it, as you say the simple truth is the second hand market is not willing to bear new prices or anything close they only kick in when it looks like an acceptable saving to them.

Just look at lenses on eBay it is pretty predictable that you will get 2/3rd's of new value for any second hand Canon L series lens.

In the markets we have today, these are the second hand premiums people are willing to pay, sellers simply have to accept it or keep their kit use it and enjoy it as best they can.

Jim

David Hull wrote:

rwbaron wrote:

Actually I think getting $2999 for a used camera with no warranty that cost $3499 new is pretty good. I can buy a $50,000 BMW, drive it 1000 miles and try to sell it and I'd be willing to bet I'd not do much better and BMW will still warranty the car.

Bob

Completely agree. I wonder what he was expecting to get for it? Surely not $3500 since someone could just buy a new completely virgin one. So right out of the chute, you can expect to get less, is $500 too much less -- who knows.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow