Nex5n which xx-300 zoon with IS and which adapter to use?

Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ericdfw
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS
In reply to Pal2012, Jul 12, 2012

There are a number of 70-300 (or 75-300) options from Sony, Minolta, Tamron and Sigma in Alpha mount, but the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS is the only stabilized lens among them (Tamron sells a VC version in other mounts, but not in Sony Alpha). You will need the LA-EA2 adapter to autofocus with any of these.

I started with an older Tamron (AF 70-300 F4-5.6 LD Macro 572D), but never was happy with the results. That one had a so-so Macro setting, which the Sigma does not. I just couldn't use it hand-held though, and even on a tripod I found it awfully soft. But I only paid $90 used, so it was OK considering.

The Sigma seems so much better in comparison, even at 3X the price (I paid $359, but they are now selling for $309 new). OS works very well, and overall image quality is very good. Just a gut-level impression (nothing scientific), I place it close to the results from the Sony SEL18200, with good shaprness and colors. It's a handful (weight and size), but until Sony unveils something comparable in E-mount (someday), I think it's the best option as we have in this range right now.

Not to sound too much like a cheerleader for this lens, I have had one pretty annoying problem with it. Occasionally it just completely freezes up my NEX-5N. Don't know for sure if it's the lens, camera, or adapter, but this is the only combination that it has ever happened on. If I power off, remove and replace the battery, then it seems to reset and work fine. Anybody else ever see anything similar?

zackiedawg's SEL55210 plus 1.7X teleextender seems like an interesting/affordable option for anyone starting "from scratch", and he's posted some fine looking results. But I already had the LA-EA2 for some old Minolta and Sony primes, and already owned the SEL18200 (& couldn't find any teleextenders that didn't vignette terribly).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow