Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
c_henry
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?
Re: Make your own cloud!
In reply to jjlad, Jul 12, 2012

jjlad wrote:

Michael Firstlight wrote:

Make your own cloud with a Pogoplug at another location (even swap putting Pogoplugs are a peer's location). Don't waste $ on subscription cloud storage.

Mike

I must be missing something ...according the the PC Mag revew all you are doing is hosting yourself via the POGO ...which is probably beside the computer in your house that just burned down reading off the hard drive that got toasted. If you want cloud storage you still have to pay for that and do the long and tedious uploads.

I can't quite see where this is so innovative so wondering what I'm missing.

Well the whole point of Pogo is that you can access and share your files from anywhere. So if you gave your friend a Pogo and it was located at his house, then you could use that to backup your files off-site.

Personally I'd go for a Synology NAS device for off-site storage and an HP Microserver for on-site storage.

The Synology because it supports WebDav and uses RAID (not sure if the Pogo does) and the HP because its fast, cheap to buy, cheap to run (35W with 8GB RAM and 5x HDD). Plus you can get an iLO card for the HP which gives you remote control, which means you can power it off and on remotely, so it only needs to be on when you want to use it (takes around 3-4 mins to boot) and once you're done you can power it off, which makes it harder to hack.

Colin

c_henry's gear list:c_henry's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 650D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow