Buy a Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 after already owning 35/50/85 primes and 18-105 zoom?

Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alex Notpro
Contributing MemberPosts: 684Gear list
Like?
Buy a Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 after already owning 35/50/85 primes and 18-105 zoom?
Jul 12, 2012

Hi all.

I have a little bit of a dilemma. My camera is a D7000 (DX frame).

I own the 35/1.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.8 Nikkor primes and 18-105 f/3.5-5.6 VR zoom.

I love the primes for general artistic/hobby photography and the 18-105 with bounce flash or bright natural light for family snapshots.

However now I have my my kids' birthday parties coming up and I'm thinking I'd like to take snapshots that are a little better photographically, with for instance with shallower DOF and softer natural light without motion blur, while at the same time not have to constantly switch prime lenses or be restricted to 35mm shots (sticking to the longer primes is out of the question in this situation).

My question I suppose is this. If I buy the 17-55 f/2.8, will I be happy? Or is it just going to unnecessarily add to my lens selection drama?

I'd love to hear from people who have been in this situation and would like to know what they did after purchasing the 17-55 2.8.

Thanks

Alex Notpro's gear list:Alex Notpro's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Apple iPhone 5s +14 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow