5 years and 30 cameras later, 80,000 pictures and the Sony RX100

Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,845
Like?
So what have you learned?
In reply to photo perzon, Jul 12, 2012

Other than how to buy and sell cameras? Seems like you ended up right back where you started.

In a way, it's probably good that someone went to all the time and expense to prove what most of us suspected: that jumping through a lot of cameras doesn't really accomplish much of anything, other than costing one a lot of time and money.

The only real difference between the Sony and a micro M43 body is - the Sony can't take extra lenses. If it could, would you have had the same extra bag to drag along, raising the same issues? A single superzoom on a compact M43 body would accomplish the same goal, while preserving the option to change to more precise glass should a situation arise that would benefit from it, like close macro, ultrawide, or long tele.

To each, their own, I guess. The one benefit I get out of your experience is - the next time I think I need to buy gear, this will simply reinforce the notion that I should first work with what I have. I can probably accomplish the same goal by upgrading my experience, thus saving money and adding knowledge that won't be obsolete with the next product cycle.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow