Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
K30 vs K5 dilemma
Jul 12, 2012

I'm going to purchase either the K5 or K30, and I'm having a tough time deciding so I thought I'd ask here (forgive me if it's been asked, but a search didn't help much).

So I've seen both a B&H, and they are both excellent. The trade-off for me seem to come down to newer technology/features (peaking, improved LiveView and AF performance) for the K30, and better build quality (top panel, magnesium alloy body, and 14 bit RAW).

K5

• the 14 bit raw will give the K5 better DR, and it since it's base ISO is 80, possibly cleaner images at low ISO. Vertical grip option. HDMI port and mic input, but video is not as good as K30 (at least as far as specs and frame-rates)

K30

• Better video specs, frame rates. However, I'm not able to find the bitrate that the K30 shoots at in video mode. Does anyone know the bitrate for the K30?

• Better AF, with slightly slower FPS (6 vs 7 for K5).

They are both small and lightweight, so weight is not really an issue. Anyone have any thoughts about this tough choice?

Thanks in advance, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow