Should I buy Canon 28mm f1.8?

Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
meatatarian
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I buy Canon 28mm f1.8?
In reply to Kreitmann, Jul 12, 2012

I totally agree with this assessment. I use my 28 f/1.8 for the same purposes, and it works 99% of the time. The build quality is great, the AF speed is remarkably fast, and the lens itself if small and light. I use it on a full-frame, so it gets me a pretty wide angle, but it works just as well on a crop sensor.

Kreitmann wrote:

I like the EF 28mm a lot. It is not perfect, but overall, it is fine lens. Small, light, solid, ring USM. At f/1.8 it is kind of soft, but that is not very important. If the choice is between a (slightly) soft image, and no image at all (to little light), I take the soft image all the time.

Your cameras have huge resolution, the will reveal a lot of optical flaws, even in expensive lenses. On the other hand, if I use fast primes in low light, I do so for "social" photography, snaps of friends and family, to share via email, maybe a small print (6x4') sometimes. Nobody will notice the "soft" lens, all will admire that you captured the mood of the natural light, while everybody else had to use a flash. So, IMHO all f/1.8 primes (28, 50, 85mm) all great lenses. It all comes down to which FL works best.

Ah, if you use it stopped down to f/4 - f/8 it is better than many zooms at the same aperture.

meatatarian's gear list:meatatarian's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow