A77 my opinion aster 15000 shots

Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jigal
Contributing MemberPosts: 549Gear list
Like?
Re: A77 my opinion aster 15000 shots
In reply to dannybgoode, Jul 12, 2012

dannybgoode wrote:

There are a few occasions (low light, high ISO) that need a but more intervention but then I simply apply the custom preset and then tinker with the relevant shots.

This is indeed an area in which the A77 doesn't really excel. Inside the house in low light I use a bounce flash and the high ISO problem is solved for me. If you need to shoot a lot of low light high ISO maybe a different camera would be better.

Interestingly the jpeg files DxO produces are around 20mb where the OOC jpegs are nearer 5mb so either DxO is horribly inefficient or they retain a lot more detail. I tend to think the latter.

Hmm... JPEG allows different compression ratio in different areas of the image. Also there are a lot of JPEG engines out there which do Huffman optimization before actually compressing the data. Both these can reduce the image size quite a lot, depending on image content (details, contrast, etc.)

If the camera produces 5MB JPEGs at 24M, then I would be worried too. I currently shoot at 12M, extra fine, low NR, contrast -2 (to retain details in black and white areas of my dogs), sharpen -2. Images are between 6 and 10 Mb in general. When I shoot at 24M sizes ranged between 9 and 15 Mb.
My guess is that DxO just uses 100% quality and not optimization at all.

Maybe the settings of your camera explain the quality of the JPEG at those very small image sizes?

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Jigal.

Jigal's gear list:Jigal's gear list
Olympus E-330 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow