Just posted: Our Fujifilm X10 review

Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Brooks Lester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,865Gear list
Like?
Fuji rendered-JPEG's are one of the best reasons to shoot X-model Fujis
In reply to RJPeter, Jul 12, 2012

I shoot all of my other cameras in RAW - for the reasons stated above - but the X10 and X100 (and presumable X-Pro 1, which I do not own) deliver a unique to Fuji, film-like, and pleasing color rendering that is hard to duplicate in post.

Caucasian kin tones especially, are peaches and cream straight out of the X10 a nd X100.

With my other cameras, including my D700. I use a twenty step layer based Photoshop action using LAB color channels that delivers a similarly pleasing effect on skin tones, but I have to paint in the effect via Layer Masks to avoid color shifts on non-skin areas of the image. This is additional work beyond the usual post workflow of adjusting exposure values, dodging and burning, vignetting, selective sharpening, etc., that make up my normal edit.

Fuji's premium cameras' best traits are color rendering - in my opinion. Noted wedding photographer Ryan Brenizer speaks on this as well, in addition to the reviews on the usual professional photography websites.

Shooting RAW isn't just a resolution killer - it's bypasses the Fuji jpeg color rendering.

For the jpeg haters who say every time you save a jpeg you recompress it - do this:

save the original X10 jpeg as a tiff file with no compression. Then you avoid crunching the image down with successive edits.

Brooks Lester's gear list:Brooks Lester's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow