2012 Macbook Pro 13 inch with Lightroom 4?

Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Owashi
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
2012 Macbook Pro 13 inch with Lightroom 4?
Jul 12, 2012

My 2008 Core 2 Duo imac has been showing its age for a while now and after switching to Lightroom 4 photo processing is so slow it's painful.

It's a 2.66 Ghz C2D with 4GB RAM and my RAW files are on an external USB drive and I shoot with a 7D. I don't know whether the slowness is down to the processer, RAM, the USB 2.0 drive or a combination of them all. For all other uses it's fine and I'll keep it as a second computer but for photos..............no way.

Anyway I've decided I need a new machine to edit my photos on and I think I'd quite like a laptop. I like the look of the recently released higher end 13 inch Macbook Pro with a 128 GB SSD and the photos on an external USB 3.0 drive. I could hook it up to budget IPS 23 inch screen (such as LG). I would upgrade the RAM to 16GB myself. The rMBP looks great but is a little out of my price range as are the non retina 15 inch models.

I have a couple of questions which more knowledgeable folk than me could hopefully answer.

1. The processer. How important is the fact that the processer on the 13 inch MBP is a dual core and not a quad core like the 15 inch models? I guess it'll be slower (of course) but how much will this affect photo processing?

2. The Graphics Card. There is no discrete GPU on the 13 inch models, shpould I worry about this? I don't play games and rarely do any video editing.

I'll be using Lightroom 4, Elements 10 and DPP mainly and like I said before whilst photo processing it'll be hooked up to an external monitor. I'm not a pro and primarily I'll be culling, sorting and organizing the RAW files and only very rarely doing any batch editing. I want to select my favorite images from the 000's I've accumulated and work on them individually.

Owashi's gear list:Owashi's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Samsung Galaxy S III +1 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow