ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrew T Leigh
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
Advice on 50D and 400 F5.6
Jul 12, 2012

Hi,

for years I have taken "snapshots" in the Kruger National Park with my 10D and the dreadfully soft older 75~300mm IS USM Lens. Although I have some some really nice shots they all obviously lack "pop" and sharpness. Well I am now sick and tired of buggering around and want to lift my game.

I bought a low frame count 50D and also the 400L 5.6 and I am hoping that this will be a good start. May even buy a 1.4X / 2.0 X before December.

So the the questions are.

1. I was thinking of keeping the 10D with an older EF 28-105mm 3.5~4.5 II ISM for the wider shots and the more landscape type stuff. Comments.

2. For when detail is required and for birds was considering keeping the 400L bolted to the 50D. Comments, the 75-300mm needs retiring.

3. The final question is that I get to practice at the end of the month, going to the Kruger for the weekend with an Amercan guest. Not having really used the 400L I am sure there are some things I really need to know and I was hoping you guys would share. Been researching the subject well but would like to know your top 5 tips for using the 50D and 400L combo. Will be generally shooting all animals but would like to have a real go at birds. The below list is things I have thought of already.

• I have as a start a good bean bag.

• I also will be keeping shutter speeds up, any suggestions. For the most part I want to shoot at the reciprocal of 400x1.6x(convertor if any) so for now it will be a min of 1/640s.

• For the first time I will be shooting RAW ..... +jpeg (just in case)

• Need to buy a circular polariser before I go.

Any other

Cheers
Andrew

-- hide signature --

I am not so under the affluence of incahol as thinkle peep I am!

Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow