Started Jun 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Julian Vrieslander
Contributing MemberPosts: 952
Like?
Re: Left AF (again) with a test result and news update pending
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Jul 12, 2012

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Julian Vrieslander wrote:

This orientation issue bit me in my first round of testing on the D800, because I found comments on the web which incorrectly described the outer sensors as horizontal.

Your conclusion is correct - Nikon single line detectors read only vertical detail

It's possible that Nikon's AF line sensors can be horizontal or vertical. It may depend on the camera model, and on the specific sensor within that camera. See, for example, Bill Claff's report on the D200.

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/GeneralTopics/Focus/Real_D200_AF_Sensor_Sizes_and_Positions.htm

This camera has both vertical and horizontal line sensors, and a cross sensor. Unfortunately, Nikon does not provide much information on this issue. For the latest generation (D800/E and D4) they tout the sensitivity of the cross sensors in the center of the frame, but they don't tell us anything about the outer line sensors. Users need to do their own testing to discover the orientation, positions, and sizes of the sensors.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow