Exposure Issues with SEL16F28

Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mark_McD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
Re: Exposure Issues with SEL16F28
In reply to Crono_DL, Jul 12, 2012

Crono_DL wrote:

You mentioned having tried using spot and multi segment metering, but have you also tried center? I find that center gives me better exposures than multi, on my 5n and my friend's nex5 as well.
--
Danny

The trick is that all metering types function relatively the same way.

Spot finds the best compromise between all pixels within the area metered. Center does the same thing but for a broader range. Multi does the same but over the entire frame.

If you have a high contrast scene where you can't help but have some highlights blown out or shadows crushed, use the one most suitable for your scene to meter what you'd want to be properly metered. If you want the best compromise for the entire scene, use multi.

I usually change metering methods depending on what I'm shooting. If it's a landscape, I often find matrix the best, but I'll typically use the reading with a grain of salt and try to adjust to find the best compromise to my eyes and the histogram.

-- hide signature --
 Mark_McD's gear list:Mark_McD's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Canon Selphy CP800 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow