Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VRII with Nikon 2X converter

Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
docfink
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VRII with Nikon 2X converter
In reply to systemguy, Jul 12, 2012

I've got to say I'm disappointed with my combo. I've got the latest versions of both and when combined, I get similar results with my (previous ) D700 and present D800. That is, the focus speed is great, but there is crappy bokeh and terrible vignetting. Centrally the images are shop, but the drop-off is terrible, IMHO.

It's possible my TC200 III is a lemon and I should have Nikon check it out. An example is a plain snapshot of my oldest son and three of his lacrosse buddies lined up in a row. The guys in the middle are sharp, but the lateral boys are fuzzy. It's a shame and a frustrating. The 70-200 alone is a wonderful lens, and better than the previous version I owned.

Maybe I'm asking too much from a TC, but I didn't feel like buying the 200-400 for the few times I'd use it.
--
david

docfink's gear list:docfink's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow