NatGeo Traveler Contest - Do I really need a model release?

Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eric_1
Regular MemberPosts: 363Gear list
Like?
NatGeo Traveler Contest - Do I really need a model release?
Jul 11, 2012

Hi there,

I was planning to submit to the National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest today (the last day!) when I realized their rules require a model release for every person in the photo!

The 3 photos I intended on submitting all have recognizable photos of people, but I don't have any release forms. Would these qualify for the contest?

Details below!

Rule here: http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/traveler-magazine/photo-contest/2012/rules/

Model release:

"if any persons appear in the photograph, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the photograph in the manner set forth in these Official Rules without additional compensation"

Usage defined here:

" reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the entries (along with a name credit) in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, including, but not limited to: Display at a potential exhibition of winners; publication of a book featuring select entries in the Contest; publication in National Geographic Traveler Magazine or online highlighting entries or winners of the Contest. Entrants consent to the Sponsor doing or omitting to do any act that would otherwise infringe the entrant’s “moral rights” in their entries. Display or publication of any entry on an Authorized Party’s website does not indicate the entrant will be selected as a winner. "

Eric_1's gear list:Eric_1's gear list
Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow