ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
XFitter
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
7D or 5Dmkii - with a twist
Jul 11, 2012

[this is a cross post between the 7D and 5D forums]

Right now I am shooting with a T2i (550D) and typically 50/1.4. I am a hobbyist, and usually shoot CrossFit which means close up, fast moving athletes, in dark gyms. However, I also use my gear for vacations where I like to go wide with a Sigma 10-20. I know, opposite things. My dilemma really comes with the CrossFit scenario since I realize the 5Dii will win votes for landscapes over the 7D, especially since I like to shoot wide.

So, although the 7D vs. 5Dii topic has been beaten to death, my situation is not the typical wildlife/sports vs. landscape/portrait for the following reasons:

-I don't need 8fps, I anticipate and then take one shot. Very infrequently do I use continuous shooting and when I do, the T2i's 3.4 fps or so is fine

-I don't use outer focus points. I know the AF on the 7D is apparently superior, but I usually use center point.

-I don't need the crop factor for extra reach since I'm in close spaces...my 50mm is actually sometimes TOO long. I had a 28/1.8 but traded for the 50 since I heard so many good things about it

In terms of habits, I usually crop when shooting CrossFit. I like to get a bigger scene and then figure out what is interesting after the fact, whether it's the athlete's face, feet, barbell, etc. Also, since I'm in dark gyms, I am shooting at high ISO...I usually set my aperture to 1.4 or 1.6 and shutter speed at 1/200-1/400 and let camera pick ISO. Usually it's anywhere between 200-6400.

I am leaning towards the 5dii because I heard the IQ is so good and cropping is excellent. I want sharper photos than I'm getting. I also heard the center point is just fine. So my ultimate questions are:

1. is there any reason to choose the 7D besides lower price (about $1100 for the 7D vs. $1700 for the 5Dii on ebay) The 5Dmkiii is not an option b/c of price
2. Is the 5dii in fact fine with center point focus for fast action?

I should add that I do get a good amount of throw-aways due to focus right now with the T2i...the auto white balance indoors almost always needs to be tweaked as well...that might change some feedback from people

Here are some photos that I've taken in the past:
Iceland with Sigma 10-22

Florence with 18-135

CrossFit with 28/1.8

CrossFit with 50/1.4

XFitter's gear list:XFitter's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow