1Dx Review

Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,095
Like?
every one of you is wrong! :)
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, Jul 11, 2012

Jeez, it's like the wise men describing the elephant. I guess technically, you each got one part right - while ignoring everything else.

The simplest, easiest way to understand DOF is that it's dominated by subject magnification (squared) - the ratio of real subject size to the virtual image size projected on the sensor. It's that simple. After that, it's proportional to F-stop.

If you keep the same framing, the magnification changes as the sensor size changes. If you change the FL the magnification changes. If you change the distance the magnification changes. If the subject gets larger with the same framing, the magnification changes. All these factors impact magnification, but individually confusing. Magnification is the root cause that explain everything.

A macro has limited DOF because of the magnification. Even at F22. A fisheye has unlimited DOF because of the (lack of) magnification. Even at F4.0

Use this rule and you'll never be wrong.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

Turbo Hampster wrote:

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

"I did love the narrow depth-of-field from the full frame sensor"

Quoi?

Do sensors alter the depth of field according to their sizes?

I think we should be told about this..

How should we told?

Most people serious about photography already know this! Haven't you ever wondered why it is pretty much impossible to get any kind of bokeh on a point and shoot even though the lens is usually an F2 or so?????

Maybe they should put warning stickers on all crop cameras aswell to warn owners that they wont get the same field of view on their lenses

It's not the sensor. It's the focal length/aperture of the lens. The DOF is the same on an APS-C, APS-H or Full frame, with the same lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow