Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ponyman
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
RX 100 arrived - initial impression.
Jul 11, 2012

RX100 just arrived from Sony UK. I'm still charging the battery so I haven't used it yet. I just take photos for fun and for my personal pleasure. There are far more capable photographers here than me and a number of reviews extolling it's virtues & foibles already posted so I'm not going to discuss it's image quality or features.

For me personally, the camera itself is actually part of the enjoyment of photography. If the camera doesn't 'do it' for me then it gets shut away in a draw and forgotten. The RX100 is giving off very positive vibes and I think is going to be a winner in that respect. I was initially surprised by how small it, even though I already knew its measurements. In the hand, it feels no bigger and of similar weight to my Canon S90 with which I will make some comparisons.

The Canon is a solidly built camera with generally well thought out controls - my main handling issue with it was the dreadfully thin control wheel without detents at the rear which felt cheap and nasty and could easily be accidental moved - I understand this was improved in later models. Happily the one on the RX100 is large and firm with positive detents. (Incidentally I also have a Fuji X100 which has an even more horrible rear control dial than the Canon!) However the RX 100 has a much more metallic look and feel about it - even the minor buttons look metallic - definitely a class above the Canon.

There are just 4 things that I am slightly uncertain about at this initial stage of acquaintance. First the very flimsy covers over the USB and HDMI ports - the latter, although not so important to me personally looks particularly cheap and delicate. Secondly the battery is symmetrical and can be inserted the wrong way around - so no changing batteries in the dark! Next the camera strap attachments are of the tiny loop type - certainly helps to keep the camera compact but means you have to use the supplied stingy adaptor thing to attach a standard strap. I don't know if the tiny camera loops are metal or plastic or how strong the stingy adaptor is, but I don't think this is ideal for security. Lastly, I am undecided about the front control ring being without detents. I can't imagine me using manual focus very often and there is a separate zoom leaver. The functions I might use it for ie aperture or exposure compensation would all benefit from a control ring with click stops aka the S90, but I will see how I get on with this - the ring is at least, as with the other controls, solid and beautifully smooth in operation.

If anyone has any particular questions about the RX100, I will try to answer.

ponyman's gear list:ponyman's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Nikon D40 Pentax Q
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow