Is the D800 a suitable camera for a tourist?

Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
spbStan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882
Like?
Re: Is the D800 a suitable camera for a tourist?
In reply to GraemeP, Jul 11, 2012

It is overkill but makes an excellent tourist camera in that it handles a wide variety of lighting conditions with ease with excellent metering, AF, resolution and color/AWB

That said, whether it is best for you on this trip depends on what type of shooting you do. Capturing memories or serious setup tripod photography or some of both or in-between?

Weight is not bad, nor is size but the file sizes are heavy and requires frequent transfers to storage devices. Battery life is not as good, as say, a D7000 so a charger will be needed and a second battery.

Wide angle is needed for cities and the country side but you will be very hard pressed to find fields of view that do not include unwanted tourists. So summer trips to tourist location are in need of some narrower field of views if you hope to get non-tourist obscured subjects. The fall or spring are better times for serious photography, before or after the peak tourist season.

I live in a city with magnificent sights but in the summer it takes some work to have clear view angles.

Rome is probably the pickpocket capital of the world, so watch your expensive camera gear, have it well protected and difficult to get to by pickpockets/opportunity theives. For that reason ,it is one of the few places I would think twice about even taking my D800.
--
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow