ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,660Gear list
Like?
Horses for courses - a real world comparison
Jul 11, 2012

Horses for courses

Before I leave an unwanted impression a disclaimer in advance - I don't want to proof that Nikon, Canon or Sony or any other brand is better - I am completely brand agnostic but I love photographing and the good feeling when the pictures are just the way as I intended them to be.

Some four months ago the D800E shocked me because that is the camera I wanted to see from Canon - I own Canon lenses and I love them (I'd love good Nikon & Sony lenses too if I had them).

So the question was would it be clever to invest in Nikon gear parallel to my existing Canon gear simply to get the gorgeous camera with no AA filter built in - a concept I really appreciate.

Last weekend i was at an event together with a friend that bought the D800E and the 70-200 f/2.8 II from Nikon. I invested in the meantime in a 300 f/2.8 II with is roughly the price of the D800E plus the 70-200 f/2.8 VR II - so same money out of the pocket.

It was a very interesting event andd we enjoyed ourself and took thousands of images - fortunately similar ones - so now I can compare them 1:1 in the same shooting condition. I know that the ISO settings are different and that the picture is not the same but it illustrates how much influence the right horse for the course has.

this is an image taken some 50 m away from the central stage with both cameras

70-200 f/2.8 VR II plus 2x on the D800E vs my 5D II plus the 300 f/2.8 L IS USM II plus 2x extender III

both at 100 % shot from monopod on a shaky wooden ground:

I think this is a really good example that you have to look at the whole tool chain instead of a single item - I have dozens of these pairs of images but I levee it at this stage. For me a clear sign that investing i the appropriate lens is the better way to invest for most upgrade situations. btw - the AF of the 5D II worked splendidly though out the whole event and I had maybe 100 to 200 miss focussed shots out of some 5500 in three days - the AF system is no selection criteria though and I am a big fan of the old saying that the proof is in the pudding

I hope you enjoy the nice 1:1 comparison even though there are many things that could be made better with the D800E. It is all about the right gear tool chain for the purpose and the right settings of the gear.

I am very happy with the 300 f/2.8 plus the 2x Extender - especially for these kind of events

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top

ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +10 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yawnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow