S1, S2, S3, S5 Wednesday thread 2012.07.11 It is hot.

Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FlossTycoon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,871
Like?
S1, S2, S3, S5 Wednesday thread 2012.07.11 It is hot.
Jul 11, 2012

It is sweltering in Montana. I know mid to upper 90s is not much for many of the regulars here but for my part of the world this is 15 to 20 degrees above normal for this time of the year.

Another thing which looks forlorn is the trusty S3 sidekick, my companion for so many trips. It looks forlorn sitting there without a lens and a Nikon body cap right up front. The 4 way control button now only works right and up but the images are still nice. Let's see what is on that CF card still mounted in the body. These are from the June road trip.

East of Barstow is the largest wind farm I have ever seen. I thought the numbers of windmills along the Columbia River Gorge was impressive but there seem to be at least that many here and a lot closer together. It looks like at least three generations of design clustered in the desert.

The Escalante Western Railroad was a line I had never seem before. It runs from a coal mine down to the power plant. It only owns three locomotives and all are seen in this image. I like the bright yet restrained colors and the basic black coal cars with one red end top signifying the rotary coupler end of the car used for dumping the loads.

I made a stop in one of my favorite railroad museums in Golden, CO outside Denver. This locomotive built in 1880 in Philadelphia is one of the oldest locomotives on display in the US.

The museum uses guard bunnies for security. They may be tougher than they look, I did not stick around to see if this rock was being interrogated for tresspassing or the bunny was going to lob it towards me for intruding on his solitude.

While waiting for the Escalante Western coal train to load I took a walk to seek photographic opportunities. I happened upon this tree and noted how the dead limbs against the sky had the look of some antlers on African animals.

The base of the tree is pretty twisted up, worthy of another exposure.

Lenses uses include the Nikkor 70mm-200mm, Nikkor 16mm-85mm and Sigma 10mm-20mm zooms.

Next Wednesday will find me out of town yet again to Butte, Montana. Lots of historic images to capture there some of them should show up in the early August Wednesday thread.

I know I include the Fujifilm S1 camera in the title but is anyone here still using one of these bodies? I see works from the rest in the title but so far nothing taken with the S1.

-- hide signature --

Alan, in Montana

Casio Exilim EX-S5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow