Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,459
Like?
To "E" or not to "E" that is my question
Jul 11, 2012

As the "snarky Thom" stated, if you have to ask then the "E" is not for you. I am not yet convinced of that.

The focus issue seems to have, well not dominated but has been quite a popular topic lately. I have not seen enough actual in the field feedback from those using the "E" in urban settings.

PP is quite far from my favorite function. I seem to gather more images than I do refining them. My passions have been split between photography and music most of my life and I'd rather practice my chops then sit at the computer.

I'm quite excited for the D800's offerings. I usually accepted little less than MF film results. Acquiring my first full DSLR system around the D700 made shooting so much more playful and enjoyable. Now the 800's!

I have been leaning toward the non "E" for these reasons. I have yet to obtain PC lenses for I hope Nikon would match Canon's axis capabilities, not holding my breath, so when I want some extreme foreground to background perspective I stop down sometimes just shy of f16 depending what lens. If I can I get away with less, like with my 14-24. I have not gotten into combining different images at different focus points yet for I find I'm in windy conditions and such that make that difficult to execute. I'm quite often in that f stop area where the benefits of the "E" may be diminished but then I say to myself when I have subjects that work with the prime f stops, why not utilize this option?

From my browsing on this subject lately I have not seen enough user feedback experience in shooting with the "E" in areas which may give it more challenge to artifacts. I have seen samples where there is more noticeable sharpness for the "E" yet at the same time in areas that are prone, artifacts are more visible as well.

Such time has passed that more have obtained the "E" as well as the non "E." I would like to hear from you if you will take into consideration what I have posted here. For those who may be burned out on the whole... to "E" or not to "E" then please just move on to more meaningful topics.

Thanks for your time,

John R

Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow