Started Jul 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,930Gear list
Like?
Why has Pentax thrown the K-5 "under the bus?"
Jul 11, 2012

If you look at the description and/or promotional material for the K-5 and K-30 at the Pentax website, while the overwhelming majority of words about the K-30 are devoted to talking about how "weather resistant" it is, there's not one single word on the Pentax website about the weather resistance of the K-5 any more!

The entire "spiel" about the K-5 is all this "Feed your Need for photography stuff you also see when you read the description section at Amazon, or if you read the description below the Ad Adorama.com places in Popular Photography, for instance. There's not a single word about the weather resistance, even though as Heie's recent video from Afghanistan clearly shows, the weather resistance applies very well not only to the K-5, but even back to the K-7.

I fully realize Pentax needs to do whatever is necessary to have the most successful launch possible of the new K-30. But it has other new features not available on the K-5, such as focus peeking, and the ability to use AA batteries with a simple adapter, without adding a $200 battery grip (like I had to in order to gain that ability with my K-5). It's also my understand that although the K-30 has the same size sensor, it may actually be a bit sharper than the one on the K-5 (which would make sense, as there's been almost 2 more years for technology to improve).

So WHY eliminate any mention of weather resistance for the K-5? And for that matter, WHY come out with a new 50mm F1.8 lens that's ALSO not WR???

I'm sorry, but once again I'm just not following Pentax's logic.
Jeff
--
May the Blessings Be.

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow