Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Donald M Mackinnon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,421Gear list
Like?
D40 to D5100- how will IQ improve
Jul 10, 2012

I am wanting to upgrade my D40 to a D5100. I was going to go for a D200,in fact I bought one on eBay but it was not as described,was returned,and we'll say no more.

I then had the opportunity to handle all the current Nikon's while going through Edinburgh Airport last week. The D3200 did not sit in my hand well, the D7000 is awesome looking and feels so well made, but the D5100 was really nice to hold and felt light,yet well made and nicely balanced. What I loved though was that fold out screen,no more lying on my tummy getting low level shots and covered in whatever.
My question is not will IQ improve, but in what way.

Perhaps I should explain that I have been looking at the Photozone Nikon lens reviews which have been done on the D7000. It is the same sensor as the D5100 and the MTF figures show a big increase over the same lens tested on the D200.

What I am trying to imagine is what will I actually see, will shots be more crisp or will the level of detail be discernibly different even viewed on a laptop, will colour rendition be different, or will it be less noise than the D40 (does it have any at base ISO,?)

I have gone to order the D5100 several times today and have reached checkout but am reluctant to take the final plunge for some probably silly reason.
Help and assurance would be welcome

Nikon D200 Nikon D3200 Nikon D40 Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow