Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JWest
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
Canon 10-22mm vs Samyang 8mm fisheye?
Jul 10, 2012

I've owned the fantastic Canon EF-S 10-22mm for a while, and I love it, particularly for gig photography. I love to get up close and personal with the band, and get in close for some really dramatic looking shots.

Recently I've been seeing some cool looking shots in a similar style but taken with a fisheye lens. That's got me to wondering whether a fisheye is something I could usefully add to my kit bag.

I don't think I can justify spending a huge amount of money on what is essentially a "novelty" lens, but the Samyang 8mm fisheye seems to be well regarded, and the shots I've seen look good.

But now I'm wondering, is the field of view really that different to shooting my 10-22 at 10mm? Could I get essentially the same effect by faking it in Photoshop after the fact? Is the quality difference between the Canon and the Samyang going to be so noticeable that I'll feel less inclined to shoot with the latter?

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of any Samyang owners, or even better, of anyone who's had the chance to play with both lenses. I'm just trying to decide whether this is a worthwhile purchase, or whether I'm better putting the money towards one of the other lenses on my wish list - right now I'm on the fence!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow