Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,696
Like?
Re: Exposure Issues with SEL16F28
In reply to John Bean (UK), Jul 10, 2012

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Jerry Canon wrote:

Is there a trick here that I'm not doing? I always shoot RAW.

The "trick" is nothing more complicated than to learn how to meter accurately with the aid of the histogram, adjusting EV compensation appropriately. Then it doesn't really matter which lens you use.

It is generally more difficult to get the right exposure with a wide angle lens, because the images include regions which are very differently lit. A long lens is usually looking at a small part of the scene, all of which is lit much the same.

Boardsy's picture of a trolley car is a good example - the shadow areas are very much darker than the sky and have come out underexposed by 2 or 3 stops - in real life you would easily see detail in those shadows. There is a limit to what a camera can record in one exposure.

A long lens aimed at the shadow area would have given full exposure with details.

I found the hardest case was when using panoramic film cameras. It is often impossible to get an exposure that will cover both the brightest and darkest parts of a panorama on film. (Although now that you can scan them into a computer, "Highlights and Shadows" can help.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow