Thinking Face Book has ruined the Pro business

Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Biggs23
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,467Gear list
Like?
Re: WOM is changing it all
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, Jul 10, 2012

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

I can't tell you how many photogs (almost all newbies) say they dont' advertise - 'It's all word of mouth'

That's fine if all you need is 3 or 4 weddings or half dozen seniors to fund that new lens or feed your ego that you're a professional.

WOM rarely generates enough business by itself - and now that every 10th person is a photography and everyone is connected on FB WOM is actually hurting real businesses IMO.

You get engaged or have a baby and via WOM you find photogs...10 of them. How do you tell your friend no, you want to go to a 'real' photographer? That would hurt their feelings.

So while FB makes it easy to get 5 to 10 clients a year, it's making it nearly impossible to get 100 to 200 that a full time photog needs to make a living.

Not really. The problem becomes relying on only Facebook for your clients. That is a no-win scenario for people who aren't social dynamos. However, using Facebook as one marketing tool among many is just smart business at this point. Every year Facebook nets me 3-5 weddings and a few seniors who only found me because their friend/co-worker/random acquaintance used me and had their images tagged. For the 30 minutes or less I put in every week that the highest ROI in marketing you're going to get, period.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow