Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bill Hollinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,086
Like?
Question on upgrades for Mac Pro 1,1
Jul 10, 2012

I have an old Mac Pro 1,1 3 GHz Dual-Code (2 processors, 4 cores), with 8 GM memory (the Bus speed is 1.33 GHz). I use it for video and photo processing. I’ve added a new 2TB start-up drive and a new FW800/USB 2.0 card from OWC, and both upgrades were easy to do. Currently the real bottle necks come with LR4 and 40MB D800E RAW files (waiting to see 1:1 previews), and video processing with FCP 7 (Studio) and Premiere 5.5 and After Effects 5 - I just bought CS6. The computer is so slow I have been doing video on my 15” 2011 MacBook Pro. Are there any relative simple (to install) upgrades that will speed up processing on this old computer?

I’ll buy a new Mac Pro as soon as a new model is available (maybe in 2013?), but for the interim, I ordered an iMac 3.4 GHz Quad-Core i7 with 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM and ADM Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDRS (I have no idea what all this means, but it is purportedly the best version for video and photos).

With upgrades, will the old Mac Pro be as fast as the new iMac? Also, for video and photo processing, will the new iMac be faster than the rMPB?

Thanks,

Bill

Nikon D800E Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow