Low light: Sony Axx w/IS vs. Nikon/Canon w/o IS?

Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Nectar D Or
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: Low light: Sony Axx w/IS vs. Nikon/Canon w/o IS?
In reply to doomhammer1212, Jul 10, 2012

doomhammer1212 wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes a Pentax is starting to look more attractive. Better sensor with less noise and it still has the IS in the body, because of that I'm tempted to think I can get the overall system cheaper since all the lenses should be cheaper due to lack of IS in the lens. Or am I mistaken here as well?

Pentax and Nikon use Sony sensors. The difference is the mechanism in front of the sensor - flipping mirror vs semi-translucent.

AFAIK lens prices are more about the glass than the features. Having an IBIS doesn't necessarily mean the system is going to be cheaper.

Why don't you try to build a probable system (body+lenses+major accessories) for each system and see what the price would be.

As far as the mirror-less, I admit the OM-D is top notch, but the NEX-7 looks awfully nice. I could get used to the dials, and the sensor is the same size as other SLR's, whereas the micro 4/3 is smaller. That has to say something for image quality. If only I could justify the price...

There's nothing wrong with the NEX-7, NEX-5N and the NEX F3. The bodies are fine. The problem is that Sony has failed to support these bodies with adequate lenses.

Anyone even considering this system should do two things: first, go to amazon or B&H websites and see how many NEX lenses are available in stock (hint: less than the number of different NEX cameras). Second, go to photozone.de and read the reviews for those lenses. Compare your results to m4/3 and Fuji and see for yourself.

Unless you own a bunch of vintage lenses and you want to use them on a modern body with manual aperture and focus, I really see no reason to buy into the NEX system.

Nectar D Or's gear list:Nectar D Or's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow