Should I switch to Canon? Help from you guys.

Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Mike Ca Regular Member • Posts: 318
Re: Should I switch to Canon? Help from you guys.

Both the 5D III and D800 are excellent cameras. They are both capable of outstanding portraits. The Canon 70-200 F/2.8 IS II is an outstanding portrait lens. Here is a sample unretouched studio portrait with the 5D III and 7-200 f/2.8 IS II lens:

This picture has been cropped some from the full image. I'm sure you could get just as good a shot with the D800, probably with even higher resolution, but the look at a 1;1 crop of this image:

Nobody wants to see that kind of detail in their portrait.

The thing to remember is the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II is a big, heavy lens compared to the prime lens you have now. I would strongly recommend you rent some equipment and try it out or at least go to a camera store and get an idea how these cameras and lenses feel in your hand before you buy them.

I also have the 24-70 f/2.8 and it is a brick. Not as heavy as the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, but still heavy to carry around all day. The shortly to be released 24-70 f/2.8 II is suppose to be a little lighter, but it will still be heavy.

I would recommend you try these out before you make a purchase decision and try out the Nikon equivalent lenses on the D800, then make up your mind.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow