Should I switch to Canon? Help from you guys.

Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mike Ca
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?
Re: Should I switch to Canon? Help from you guys.
In reply to Brea, Jul 10, 2012

Both the 5D III and D800 are excellent cameras. They are both capable of outstanding portraits. The Canon 70-200 F/2.8 IS II is an outstanding portrait lens. Here is a sample unretouched studio portrait with the 5D III and 7-200 f/2.8 IS II lens:

This picture has been cropped some from the full image. I'm sure you could get just as good a shot with the D800, probably with even higher resolution, but the look at a 1;1 crop of this image:

Nobody wants to see that kind of detail in their portrait.

The thing to remember is the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II is a big, heavy lens compared to the prime lens you have now. I would strongly recommend you rent some equipment and try it out or at least go to a camera store and get an idea how these cameras and lenses feel in your hand before you buy them.

I also have the 24-70 f/2.8 and it is a brick. Not as heavy as the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, but still heavy to carry around all day. The shortly to be released 24-70 f/2.8 II is suppose to be a little lighter, but it will still be heavy.

I would recommend you try these out before you make a purchase decision and try out the Nikon equivalent lenses on the D800, then make up your mind.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow