Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fooshnik
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?
Tips for shooting video with T4i
Jul 10, 2012

I'm new to shooting video with SLRs, like few days old new, as my last three Canon bodies didn't do proper 1080p video. I'll be honest and say that my first few attempts have been less than a raving success, so let me display my ignorance and ask a few basic questions.

-How are the pros focusing? I'm noticing that while I can tap the screen to set the focal point it can take a while to get there, and after achieving focus it will then proceed to keep "trying" to focus even though it already is, even on subjects that aren't moving. This causes the focus to go in and out, sometimes way out taking four or five seconds to get back into focus thus ruining the video. I've noticed I can tap the screen in the lower left where it says "Servo AF" and turn that off after it achieves focus, but this isn't advantageous when the subject actually is moving. Are you focusing manually or is there another method?

-The lens I'm using is the 24-105 and the sound of the autofocus motor is picked up by the microphone. I'll probably pick up the 18-135 STM when it becomes available, but until then will an external mic remedy this? If so what's a good one and how is it mounted to the camera?

If anyone has any links to proper methodology that they're fond of I'd like to see them. Also any other recommendations?

Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow