Buying first SLR camera...is the D800 too much for me?

Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
spbStan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,881
Like?
Re: Buying first SLR camera...is the D800 too much for me?
In reply to jjm1181, Jul 10, 2012

The D800 is a very capable camera and is one of the easiest cameras of high quality to geet good results so there is no technical reason not to get one.

However, should you get one? Probably not.

It is heavy and the quality lenses that make it shine are even heavier. That translates into a person using it less often than a light carry-it-everywhere camera that is with you when unexpected events occur in your son's life

It generates image files that are gigantic and slower to process. Even its JPG files are large, requiring a computer upgrade for most photographers for reasonable processing speed.

It is expensive, the average investment D800 shooters have in their camera, lenses, flash and tripod is probably well over $10,000. A growing young family has better things for $10,000. Such as a mutual fund for college that in 18 years will grow to be worth a lot

The only saying that the best camera for any sort of scene or subject is the one you have with you. Given that truism, getting a small light camera with good low light focusing and flash option, you are going to be more likely to have it with you when unplanned opportunities arise. A J1 or V1 Nikon have very good focusing, good low light capability and are small enough to slip into a purse or pocket, are rugged, and have excellent image quality. Although I have a D800 and many lbs of pro glass, if my daughter was that age, instead of 34yrs, I would be reaching for a quality point and shoot instead of my D800.

If you really want a DSLR, the D3200 is simple to use, reasonably priced and has excellent image quality. For more flexibility, but not necessarily better image quality, the D7000 is quite good. I have one and think it is the best affordable camera now. But my D90, which now is used by my non-photographer GF, was even better and more forgiving for a beginner. A new D90 with versatile 18-105 lens is about $780 now.
Good luck,
--
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow