My D800 LH Focus Issue Test w/ "Leonard-Approved" Target (Lots of images!)

Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
djcheetah
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
My D800 LH Focus Issue Test w/ "Leonard-Approved" Target (Lots of images!)
Jul 10, 2012

I tested my 24-70mm at 2.8, tripod, mirror lockup, cable release in daylight giving an approx shutter speed of 1/1000-1/2500s. I utilized a "Leonard Approved" chart on the LH side of the foam core placed 3.4m from camera. I also utilized black electrical tape to provide enough horizontal detail for the vertical sensors to pick up on the Far LH and RH AF Sensors.

Three shots were taken of each set up (target, AF point and PD/CD AF method) to eliminate any variation. Each shot series was checked to see if there were any differences before selecting one to crop at 100% for your viewing. Lens was tuned for the center point with Reikan FoCal Pro 1.5 Beta at 1.5m for 24mm before this test.

Note the center and Far RH PD and CD (Live View) focus is approximately the same. However when you look at the differences between the Far LH PD and CD (Live View) you can tell the PD AF focused far behind both targets. In Adobe Bridge, the FAR LH Focus distance shows 5.0m vs. 3.4m. You can clearly see the difference when looking at the fence, garage and neighbor's house in the backgrounds.

Maybe I will not be the 52nd person on Leonard's list using a non-sensible target.... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

Anyways, yes this problem is real and I have one of them. I am patiently waiting, like many others, for Nikon El Segundo to come up with a proven fix before releasing my camera to them. For now, I am shooting weddings with center point only and landscape in Live View, manual focus.

Screen Shot from Nikon View NX showing focus points:

Center AF Crop (Live View CD Focus) - Target #1

Center AF Crop (PD Focus) - Target #1 - Approx same as Live View

Center AF Crop (Live View CD Focus) - Target #2

Center AF Crop (PD Focus) - Target #2 - Approx same as Live View

Far RH AF Crop (Live View CD Focus) - Target #1

Far RH AF Crop (PD Focus) - Target #1 - Approx same as Live View

Far RH AF Crop (Live View CD Focus) - Target #2 (Target not affecting focus)

Far RH AF Crop (PD Focus) - Target #2 - Approx same as Live View (Target not affecting focus)

Pay close attention to how backfocused the Far LH points are in the following photos; Target #1 Live View, then PD AF and then Target #2 produce the same error:

I'll post the full sized JPG's on Flickr tomorrow for those who want to pixel peep without all the detail crushing uploads to the gallery.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow